Enter your email address to receive free updates:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow us:
facebook twitter gplus pinterest rss

Sunday, March 15, 2015

My 6 Breastfeeding Must-Haves

From the moment I got pregnant almost 16 years ago, I wanted to breastfeed. After 3 unsuccessful attempts with my older children, I knew the problem was improper latch on. I just didn't know how to fix it. I won't go into too much detail here, but after less than 24 hours, my nipples would be red and sore. With Jay, after 3 days they were cracked and bleeding.

First, let me say that God knew how much breastfeeding meant to me; and He loves to give us the desires of our hearts. He led me to 6 items that have proved invaluable in this breastfeeding journey. (Baby Jay has been breastfeeding now for 11 months.) I feel led to share them with you.


newborn hand holding finger





My 6 Breastfeeding Must-Haves

I took the first 3 items with me to the hospital.

1) The Medela Contact Nipple Shield. It was a lifesaver! Baby Jay could nurse as long as she wanted without causing me incredible amounts of pain! These shields are great for women with inverted or flat nipples. They will help to eventually draw out the nipple so that baby no longer needs it. By the time Baby Jay was 6 months old we were able to quit using it. The Lactation Consultant advises against the nipple shield, but you have to do what is right for you and your baby.

2) Natural Nipple Butter. I absolutely love this product! It goes on smoothly, doesn't have to be washed off before baby nurses again, and smells like chocolate. It's made from all natural ingredients, too. I used this after every time she nursed to further prevent sore and cracked nipples.

3) Nursing Tank Top.  I was able to keep my stomach covered with the tank top and my chest covered with my t-shirt while I fed her. I'm a very modest person so I REALLY appreciated this. I liked it so much, I bought 3!

4) Medela Electric Double Breast Pump. A few weeks after Baby Jay was born, my insurance company (with a request from my OB/GYN) provided me with this pump for free. This was such a blessing!!! The trouble that comes with using the nipple shield is that babies have to work a little harder and don't always empty the breast. I used the pump several times a day to stock my freezer for when I went back to work and to make sure that my milk supply increased by emptying each breast completely. This method worked perfectly. I continued to do this after I went back to work part-time.

5) Mam Bottles. These bottles are so similar to breastfeeding that they actually helped Baby Jay learn to latch on correctly. Plus, they are easily sanitized in the microwave!

6) The KellyMom Breastfeeding Support Group and La Leche League Forums were wonderful! Sometimes I would get discouraged or worried that I wasn't doing something right. It was helpful to know that I was not alone. Baby Jay practically stayed attached for the first 6 months of her life. I didn't know if this was normal, but after reading other moms' experiences I learned that it was all part of the breastfeeding journey.

I certainly don't have all the answers when it comes to breastfeeding. 1 successful attempt out of 4 isn't great odds, but I'll take it. My biggest advice is to go to the hospital prepared. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. (Can you tell I was a Scout Mom?) For more of my tips and ideas, take a look at my Pinterest board Breastfeeding Help.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...